What does to defray mean?
What does to defray mean?
Definition of defray transitive verb. 1 : to provide for the payment of : pay sold advertising on his website to help defray the cost of running it. 2 archaic : to bear the expenses of (a person) Other Words from defray More Example Sentences Learn More About defray.
How do you use defray in a sentence?
Defray sentence example
- Manual labour was adopted at first as a means for students to defray their college expenses.
- When a change of residence became necessary to enable the peasant to take up the new allotment, the state advanced £6 to each family to defray expenses.
What are defray expenses?
If you defray someone’s costs or expenses, you give them money which represents the amount that they have spent, for example, while they have been doing something for you or acting on your behalf.
What is the synonym of the word defray?
pay. verbgive money for goods, services. adjust. bear the cost. bear the expense.
How do you use hamper in a sentence?
Hamper sentence example
- He likes the house spotless and the hamper empty every day.
- Last night she had noticed a few clothes in a hamper in the laundry room.
- The complications of Chinese writing greatly hamper education.
What is the meaning of notch up?
to achieve something
to achieve something: She has recently notched up her third win at a major ski event. Succeeding, achieving and fulfilling.
What part of speech is defray?
DEFRAY (verb) definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary.
What is a synonym for disclaim?
In this page you can discover 28 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for disclaim, like: reject, deny, recant, abandon, discard, abjure, abnegate, contradict, disown, gainsay and negate.
What is the synonym of derogatory?
(or libellous), maligning, slandering, slanderous, vilifying.
What is hamper used for?
In agricultural use, a hamper is a wide-mouthed container of basketwork that may often be carried on the back during the harvesting of fruit or vegetables by hand by workers in the field. The contents of the hamper may be decanted regularly into larger containers or a cart, wagon, or truck.
Why is it called a hamper?
The word hamper is taken from the French word hanapier, which means ‘a case for goblets. ‘ During the Victorian age hampers started to gain popularity as a gift, on occasions such as Christmas.
What is the opposite of Notch?
Opposite of a dent or hollow in a surface. bulge. camber. convexity.
What does disclaim mean in legal terms?
Disclaim, in a legal sense, means to give up a legal claim, obligation or right to something. Rejecting one’s claim to inheritance is an example of when one disclaims. Disclaim also means to deny responsibility for something.
How do you use disclaim in a sentence?
Disclaim in a Sentence
- Although the suspect tried to disclaim responsibility for the murder, the police were sure that he was the culprit.
- Lying Trina was quick to disclaim her part in the school prank, but her parents knew that she was partly to blame.
What is derogatory behavior?
Definition of derogatory 1 : expressive of a low opinion : disparaging derogatory remarks a derogatory term. 2 : detracting from the character or standing of something —often used with to, towards, or of … abstained from saying a word derogatory to his new friend’s religion …— Anthony Trollope.